19 thoughts on “Define Culture”

1. Culture to me is not just defined as being a part of a community or a whole because of skin color and where your parents are from. A culture can be a choice, what you choose to believe and how you and those around you believe in the things you do and how they interact with the world. I also understand that based on this culture can affect the way you interact and receive information in the outside world.

2. Culture can be defined as the various behaviors, values, or interpretations held by a distinct group of people. It can not be pigeon holed into one specific group, yet is able to describe a multitude of sections of people. Some of those sections include race, ethnicity( which correlates directly with culture), religion, or even the furry community. Much like the people themselves, the culture will evolve and change as the people do. This leads to certain aspects slowly disappearing, no matter how prevalent they were previously know to be within the culture.

3. This article lists different people’s definitions of what culture is. Everyone says something different, but each definition has something about human behaviors and different patterns that people interact with. Summarizing all of the definitions would be saying that culture is : the way people interact with different foods, values, languages and etc. to interact with other people.

4. In my opinion culture is defined as the similar beliefs and actions that people share that make them apart of a culture. Many people of the same race or from the same place share many of the same actions and beliefs which makes them apart of a culture. However culture is not only based on your race it also depends on things such as religion, morals, and also where you come from

5. Even though culture creates diversity among people, it also creates unity across a community that is apart of it. Culture is a major aspect of one’s life that molds them into who they are and who they will become. It affects your home life, morals, social life, and values. A culture that one is apart can potentially affect how they perceive certain aspects of a world outside of their own.

6. The word “culture” has a variety of meanings that can all be correct from different perspectives. My definition of “culture” is having similar factors among other people such as ethnicity, personal values, religion, identical mindset/way of thinking/behavior, etc. Having these indistinguishable elements associates you to be part of a “culture” where like-minded people come together to embrace their values and strengthen their communication with one another.

1. I agree, the formation of culture can be attributed to human nature. By the way human with a common mindset and beliefs instinctively group together, thus forming culture.

7. Culture is said to be a product of a society’s norms and traditions. It can be what type of people live there and what food they eat. It can even be the games they play and the music they listen to. But to me, culture is so much more than that. To me, culture is the relationships within a society and how people react to things. It’s how nurturing a society is to it’s individuals, rather than cold and distant.

8. Culture can be defined in many different ways. It really depends on the person. Most definitions include the cultivation or learned behaviors among a group. I tend to agree with this definition for the most part

9. By the multiple definitions in the article, culture seems to be something that is universally agreed upon in a community. Collectively, they give meaning to ideas, places, and objects defining who they are and by doing that, differentiate themselves from other cultures.

10. In my opinion, culture is an identifying factor. As I read in one of the definitions, it separates one person or siciety form another. Culture lays out rituals, traditions, beliefs, music, art, and even education. Culture is whatever a person makes it out to be. It could be anything from a religious factor to a clothing style.

11. Culture can be defined as many different things. In my prospective culture is what makes us basically us. You know in the world everyone has a different prospective of what that is to the. To some, Culture means like being a part of a community based off race and religion but its much more to that. It is basically what you believe and stand by.

12. After reading the many different and unique definitions and perspectives throughout the article, I now feel that I have a decent grasp on the concept of “culture”. The concept of culture seems to be the collective thought of having a wide range of beliefs, interpretations, behaviors, morals, etc. within a specific group of people. These characteristics greatly vary among different groups of people, which makes every culture remarkably unique.

13. Culture can be defined in many different aspects in the visions of numerous different people. As these people socialize and create customs that a group follows, a culture is born. Factors that affect how a person’s perspective on culture can include school, work, and mainly social interactions. Personally, social interactions define my culture due to the culture changing constantly. Significant change is caused by social interactions whether it be through social media or through music. Artists who create this music are the biggest influence group on culture for our generation.

14. I appreciated G. Hofstede definition of culture and Kameron’s definition listed above. Upon further examination of the various definitions, I conclude that culture is the difference in customs between each individual. Culture can be, and typically is, shared among a group of individuals, but it can also be a difference shared only with one’ self. Any individual can claim their own culture, so long as its philosophy, customs, or media represents the untraditional aspect of said culture. If not, individuals run the risk of their culture overlapping with another’s. Culture is basically any philosophy, custom, tradition, or media different from other cultures. That being said, it makes it possible for anyone to take any form of individuality they possess to claim as their own culture. For the most part, that is true. An important aspect to consider, however, is that the more unique the culture, the more individuality it expresses, the more likely other individuals will consider it a culture and possibly even choose to believe in.

1. Of course, this definition is far from perfect, however. For example, what if someone steals your culture? What if an individual takes away your individuality as represented by your culture and claims it as their own? Should there be rules determining what constitutes a culture and what doesn’t? Will cultures have to be patented? I’m not saying they should, but I’m not saying they shouldn’t either.

15. Culture to me is what someone eats, where they’re from, traditions and celebrations throughout the year which is decided by the person not society. It is not your skin color or your name, its your background that is important to figuring out ones, and not physical appearance features.

16. Prior to reading this article about culture, my definition of culture would be; the way a group of people whether its a race, a community, etc interact amongst each other. Comparable to a tradition, except culture is ever evolving. Though, after reading, I realized my definition is partially accurate, in that it implied human socialization. All the articles essentially stated culture as an instinct humans manifested in order to assist in perceiving and interacting with the world around them. Over time it evolved to be seen as a way of differentiating one group from another.